It is a pretty common phenomenon to have cracked lips or dry lips in the season of winter or any other conditions in which the humidity in the ambient air reduces considerably. This is generally a seasonal occurrence and can be treated in simple and effective ways. However there might be chronic cracked lips which might lead to some other grave diseases but that is a very rare case. Here we will only discuss about the common dry lip causes, care and solutions to the problem.
Problems relating to cracked lips
Cracked dry lips may lead some other problems like:
- Bleeding from the lips and adjacent soft skin areas
- Canker sores in the affected areas
- Dry mouth
- Cold sores
- A hoarse and dry voice
- Redness of the face
- Swelling of the lip region
- Excessive thirst
- Rashes in the upper and lower lip
- Mild or severe headache mostly as a side effect of the pain
- Light fever
- Heavy nasal conditions or stuffy nose.
Causes of cracked lips
Cracked lips or dry lips can be caused by various reasons. Most of the reasons are natural and environmental. The most common reasons to cause cracked lips are:
Generally cold weathers are pretty dry. As a result of the dryness of the ambience, the lips lose their natural fluid and that leads to the appearance of the cracks. The cold wind and the pretty low temperature further assist in increasing the gaps in the cracks already formed.
For similar reason, dry weather causes cracked lips. This is the reason why people complain of having cracked lips in deserts and in extremely hot and non humid regions. The lips lose the humidity rapidly and can’t get enough fluid in due time.
Sun is another reason behind dry lips as the excessive heat damages the soft tissues of the lips and lets them get dry and crack. Sun also burns and destroys the skin tissues of the lips inflicting further damages.
Prevention of dry and cracked lips
If your dry lip condition is not chronic, then there is a good chance that you will get rid of the problem pretty easily by means of some very basic home remedies. Other then these, you can also take the help of any professional physician who might help you overcome the problems of dry lips and cracked lips by using some medicated ointments. A few of the most popular remedies to tackle the problems regarding cracked lips are:
- Drink a lot of fluids. This will help you body get hydrated and the fluid will also get transferred to your lips along with other body parts. This will eventually help you lips getting the necessary fluid to tackle the dryness.
- Avoid licking your lips as this covers your lips with saliva and the saliva actually dries on your lips leaving the surface drier than ever and leading it to crack.
- Always remove the dead skin of your lips before applying any ointment or lip balms.
- Apply a lip balm or petroleum jelly whenever you go outside, especially if the environment is dry or cold. Apply the lip balm even when getting out in the sun.
- You can also apply oils like coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil. They will not hamper the skin of your lips and keep them hydrated for a long time.
- Soothe your lips with a cube of ice or a slice of cucumber if the lips start to pain. You can also give them a light massage by your fingers.
- Don’t apply commercial chemical makeup over your lips. Restrain from applying overly chemical lipsticks.
- Don’t use fluoride based toothpaste as they tend to damage your lips in adverse conditions.
- If you work or live in a hot and dry environment then keep a humidifier in your room. If you can’t get access to such devices, then simply place a bucket of fresh water in the room. That will do the trick and keep your room humidified to prevent the chances of your lips cracking.
Take necessary precautions and try to avoid conditions which cause the cracking and dryness of the lips. And if the problem arises, try to follow the points mentioned above and if the situation becomes grave don’t wait and see a physician immediately.