Lots of investigations have been conducted concerning skin care. People are usually facing issues with oily/dry skin, acne, and pimples. Moreover, blackheads are yet another issue that spoils the look of the skin and causes lots of struggles in dealing with them. Therefore, in this short post, we would like to explain why blackheads occur and how to get rid of them.
What are Blackheads?
If you have heard about whiteheads, you must have heard about blackheads too. If you did not, then you are lucky! We would like to clarify what are these two types of skin blemishes and how are they different.
Whitehead is a form of acne, which occurs when the skin is clogged with dead skin cells, bacteria, and oil. The blackhead can be described in the same manner. Nevertheless, there is one crucial difference between these two type of acne, which is the
contact with the oxygen or, in other words, if the pore is closed or open. Whiteheads mean that the pore is totally clogged and do no interact with oxygen. In contrast, if the dead skin cells and bacteria have the contact with the oxygen (pores are open, in other words), the top of the clogged pore turns black.
In most of the cases, blackheads occur on nose, forehead, and the part between the chin and lips. Unfortunately, but the wrong assumption that blackheads occur due to improper cleaning prevails among people who suffer from blackheads. NO. Here it’s important to stress the fact that dirt does not cause this type of acne! It means that masks, cleansers, toners, and other ways for cleaning your skin will not help to deal with blackheads. For this reason, don’t give away your money for expensive products that are not going to satisfy your needs.
Before we start listing the tips on how to deal with blackheads effectively, it’s necessary to clarify the main reasons what can cause those ugly dark spots. According to dermatologists, the following may be the cause of blackheads: Makeup and other skin products. Makeup and various products for the improvement of complexion tend to clog pores and make skin oilier.
- Makeup and other skin products. Makeup and various products for the improvement of complexion tend to clog pores and make skin oilier.
- Hormones. When estrogen drops, the testosterone starts prevailing, what can cause skin fat.
- Sleeping position. If yo have noticed blackheads on one side of your face, it might be that your sleeping habits are the main reason for blackheads’ emergence.
- Sweat can also clog pores, especially when the skin is covered with makeup.
- Medications. It has been found that steroids, estrogen, testosterone, and phenytoin are the drugs that can cause problems with the skin, including blackheads.
Even though blackheads are extremely stubborn regarding annihilation, there are some useful methods that you should get used to practicing to get rid of ugly dark spots. The first advice would be not to use exfoliators, cleansers, and similar products too often as the result may be dried skin rather than the disappearance of blackheads. Down below, we will provide 8 masks that can be applied at home to fight with blackheads.
1. BAKING SODA. This natural ingredient is used for various at home treatment, including skin, teeth or even housework. Regarding skin, baking soda should be used extremely carefully because, despite exfoliating properties, it can also dry your skin out. For the reduction of blackheads, it is advisable to use baking soda one a week (not more). For baking soda treatment, you just have to mix 1part of soda with fresh water. Apply the paste to your skin and then rinse with fresh water. After baking soda, mask moisturizes your skin with cream.
2. CLAY MASK. Bentonite clay is rich in minerals and used as an ingredient for treatment for a long time. When wet, clay absorbs oil and other dirt that is locked in the pores. Meanwhile, all the minerals are disseminated and get penetrated into the skin. For clay mask, you need 1 tbsp bentonite clay and water or apple cider vinegar. Cover your face with the clay mask and let it sit up to 25 minutes.
3. EGG WHITE MASK. This mask is extremely helpful for tightening pores. This way, the chances for pores to clog with oil and bacteria minimizes. For this mask you need one egg, facial tissue, a small bowl, and a towel. First of all, separate the yolk from the white. Then dry your skin with water and apply egg white to the skin. After that, place a facial tissue and press it tight to the skin. Put the second layer of egg white and cover with paper again. If needed, put the third layer. Let the mask dry. You should feel the tension of your skin, which is OK. When the paper gets dry, peel it and gently wash your face.
4. SALYCILIC and GLYCOLIC ACID. This method helps to clean oil in clogged pores. The consistent not only helps to get rid of existing pores but also prevents the occurrence of the new ones. For this procedure, you just need salicylic and glycolic acid and a cotton strip. Wet the cotton strip with the acid and clean the problematic areas mornings and evenings.
5. MILK and HONEY. In tandem, these two ingredients have a major impact on fighting with blackheads. Honey has antibacterial properties while milk is known for improving skin’s elasticity and making it soft. When mixed, these two ingredients work as an adhesive. In other words, pores are closed thus preventing blackheads from occurring. For that, you need 1tbs of raw honey, 1tbs of milk, and a strip of cotton. Mix milk with honey and heat it for several seconds to make the consistency smooth. Apply the mask on the areas full of blackheads and put a strip of cotton on top. It is advisable to stay at least 20 minutes. Finally, take off the cotton and gently clean your face.
6. LEMON JUICE. As we have already explained, blackheads are caused due to clogged pores the top of which interact with oxygen. Therefore, to closed pores is the best way to avoid blackheads from settling down on your skin. Lemon juice is the perfect ingredient for that. Thus, squeeze one lemon juice, take a small strip of cotton, damp it with the juice, and apply to the area affected with blackheads. NOTE: you skin may become a little bit lighter (temporarily) and sensitive to the sun.
7. HONEY and CINNAMON MASK. Honey has antibacterial properties, what helps to fight against acne and releases the impurities locked in the pores. Meanwhile, cinnamon improves blood circulation making the skin smooth and radiant. For this method, you just need 1tbs of raw honey, 1tbs of cinnamon, and a strip of cotton. Mix honey with cinnamon and apply the paste over the areas covered with blackheads. Put a cotton strip on top and let the mask sit for 3-5 minutes.
According to the dermatologist, these are the at home treatment that can help to get rid of blackheads. However, you should be careful and not overdo the procedures. Try these methods and select the ones that work for you. Apply the mask once or twice a week. Good luck!